Relationships Rule the First Days of School

Sophie Hume and April Vazquez

As the start of a new school year begins, Lincoln High School brought the spirit with value teams and the welcoming of students through club rush, a BBQ, and a school rally for the first two days back. The hope is to return the unity and school pride that COVID-19 took away last year.

Thursday, the first day of school, was every student’s introduction to their new teachers, and for some, their new school. A rally was held by Principal Hladun and a motivational speaker connected students from all grades to live up to each value team’s meanings; Care, Connect, Character and Courage. 

Friday, the second day of the school year was celebrated with a welcoming rally in the morning with lots of herd time and a school-wide barbeque for lunch. Free burgers and hotdogs were passed out to all value teams and music was played around the gym for students to enjoy. 

Anticipation for the Zebras first football game of the year was unfortunately dulled due to a cancelation because of the air quality in Lincoln that day. “I’m excited for homecomings and football games to begin. I miss the fun activities we didn’t have last year” Alexandria Cheairs (‘23)said. Despite the setback, the “zoo” kept the spirits high the following Monday and a great game was played against Del Oro. 

Students of all grades seemed to really enjoy the return to school, just as much as the staff. “The first two days of school made me so excited for this year,”  Lilyana Peterson (‘25) said. “I’m really looking forward to meeting new people and having new experiences in high school.”  Seniors, especially after having almost two years of their high school experience taken, were arguably the most eager to come back. “Being back is such a good feeling and being able to talk to people again is so nice,” Aidan Zinzun (‘22) said, “I’m so excited for this year!” 

Lincoln High School’s first days back were a refreshing taste or normalcy, and will hopefully be a preview of what this entire 2021-22 school year will look like. Have a great year Zebras!